- The Hot Wheels Legends Tour is a contest to choose a custom build and turn it into a 1: 64-scale toy car.
- Entrants come from around the world, and only 10 will advance to the final round.
- Car and Driver senior editor Elana Scherr plus Road & Track’ s John Pearley Huffman represented Hearst Autos in the semifinals judging.
You may not be a collector, all grown up as you are and needing your shelf space for pretentious bourbon, but we’d be surprised if you can see a Hot Wheels car and not give it the quick little spin around the table. Mattel’s glossy mini-machines have appeal across age groups, and worldwide, which is why the Hot Wheels Legends Tour —a chance with regard to builders of full-size cars to see their work memorialized inside die-cast form —attracts entries from all over the globe.
Winnowing the particular hopefuls down to one takes a new full year, with regional events leading up to a 24-car semifinal, in addition to, eventually, some sort of 10-best shootout. We were invited this year, along with beloved Window Shop participant and even Road & Track elderly editor Steve Pearley Ryan , to judge the difficult semifinals.
The semifinalists ranged from a pink mini-truck to an almost spherical Volkswagen Bug bus. We liked typically the Snork-nosed blown Porsche 928, while other judges marveled at a good high-riding Autozam and a Ford Anglia with a stock back window design so wildly styled that it seemed more custom than the customs. Here’s the full list we had to choose from.
- 2015 Proton Suprima S – Nilai Seremban, Malaysia
- 2003 Toyota Hilux – Shimotsuma, Japan
- 1969 Buick Riviera – Los Angeles, California, USA
- 1987 Mitsubishi Jeep Ratrod – Pozorrubio, Pangasinan, Philippines
- 1998 Nissan 240SX S14 SE : Miami, Florida, USA
- 1974 Mini GT – Punta Arenas, Chile
- 1978 Porsche 928 ~ Dallas, Texas, USA
- Raptor Buggy – Mt Maunganui, New Zealand
- 1973 Toyota Celica ST – Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- 1980 C3 Corvette : Pajęczno, Poland
- 1992 Autozam Scrum ~ Beaumont, Tx, USA
- 1976 VW Puma GTE – Saarbrücken, Germany
- 1956 VW Beetle : Syracuse, New York, USA
- 1963 Ford Anglia 105e ~ Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
- 1971 Plymouth Duster/2009 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee – Mexico City, South america
- 1968 VOLKS WAGEN Beetle – Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- 1931 Dodge Rat Rod : Detroit, Michigan, USA
- 1962 Beetle ~ Bandung, Indonesia
- 2011 Kart 1000 cc – Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- 2017 Radio Flyer – San Tan Valley, Arizona, USA
- 1927 Wayne Ford School Bus – Tumbling Shoals, Arkansas, USA
- mid 1970s Mini Clubman Panel Van – New South Wales, Australia
- 69 International CO1800 – Corning, California, UNITED STATES
- Nissan Skyline R33 1JZ non VVTI – Barcelona, Spain
We’re not just being polite when we say any of this cars all of us saw would have made excellent Hot Wheels, but we were instructed in order to think associated with the final product: how might the details translate? Is this your car that’s similar to be able to Hot Rims already in production? Would a kid want to play with this? Might an adult?
We won’t give away often the semifinalist winners! You can watch your judging here and tell us who you would certainly have sent to the exact finals.
How to See the Finals
If you want to watch the finals, held at Jay Leno’s garage, check back in on the Hot Small wheels Facebook page on November 12 at midnight Eastern time.
This content is imported through OpenWeb. You may be able to find the same content within another format, or a person may be able to discover more information, in their web site.